HOLY FACE CROSS
Overview of the Holy Face Cross
Taken from the Manual of the Archconfraternity of the Holy Face, 1887:
VI. — Cross of the Archconfraternity
The Archconfraternity, having its centre in the archiepiscopal city of Tours where it had its origin, adopts as a principal sign of decoration for its members a cross with two arms arranged in the manner shown in the engraving given above; on the centre of one of its sides is inscribed the monogram of Christ surrounded with the words: Pius IX. 1847, and upon the arms of the cross: Sit nomen Domini benediclum; on the obverse is seen engraved, on the centre, the Holy Face, above which is the inscription of the Cross : Inri, and beneath : Vade retro, Satana. The associates are advised habitually to wear this cross as a safeguard; during pilgrimages and at public ceremonies, it is well to have it placed where it can be seen on the breast.
is an army; the cross, such as it has been described, is its standard; let us
wear it with confidence; it will help us to conquer our enemies and to repair
our losses. But it is
Revelation of February 2, 1844, Feast of the Purification
Our Lord offers a promise of pardon in view of the efforts made to spread the Reparation. He further designates Saint Michael, Saint Martin and St. Louis, as the special patrons of the Work, and asks that the members wear a cross, and band themselves together as "Defenders of God's Holy Name."
"Finally, our Lord told me that He desired each member of the Association to wear a special cross, and that on one side of this cross should be engraved with the words, "Blessed Be the Name of God," and on the reverse side should be the words, "Begone, Satan!" To all those wearing this holy cross our Lord promised a special resourcefulness to conquer the demon of blasphemy, adding that every time one hears a curse, he should repeat the two short inscriptions written on each side of the cross, and he will thus overcome the evil one and rendered glory to God."